So my daughter (I STILL can’t believe IIIIIIIIII have a daughter!) is very quickly approaching the 1 year mark of life on this planet. Woah. Can we just mull over this for a minute?
a minute later…
Nope, still can’t wrap my head around it. I’ll stop trying I think.
She is 10 months old and here are a few of her more notable behaviors:
-she starting to dance whenever she hears music. I cannot describe in words how delightfully entertaining it is. She’s got moves which, despite my years of dance training, come from her dad. Dance parties are quite frequent around here these days.
– I love love love when she is looking at something that is bringing her such joy and then she looks back at me with an enormous grin on her face, as if she’s saying “Are you seeing this? This is great!”
– She wakes up completely happy. Like, right away. She opens her eyes, sits right up, and giggles! Full on giggles! While I DO hope this doesn’t mean that she’s a morning person, it’s a pretty fantastic way to wake up. 😀 Chase especially appreciates it, although it makes it harder for him to leave for work a lot of days.
– She can stand up all on her own and she can also slowly squat back down to sitting position. She’s got seriously buff baby legs.
– She’s waving. And her wave is the most adorable wave I’ve ever seen. It’s all floppy and to no one in particular ever and always accompanied by a toothless grin. Plus she’s my kid so everything she does is special and unique and the most adorable. 😉
– We are honored to have my big niece, Liv, staying with us this week. I have ABSOLUTELY LOVED seeing her and Penny interact. Sometimes Liv will ask for Penny when she’s napping and sometimes she tells me that Penny should ‘go take a nap now’ when Penny is awake. For the most part Liv loves her and is great at keeping an eye on her and making her laugh. AND sharing her toys, even though it’s obviously difficult for her. Chase noticed tonight how Penny will actually stay in one place when Liv is near. I looooooooooooove it! It makes me so excited for them to grow up together (and to have more kids. Don’t tell Chase. 😉
– She is close to walking which means she has got the crawling thing DOWN. She will start to crawl at a reasonable pace somewhere and if she thinks that you are coming after her she starts a-flyin’! I mean, I can’t just walk and catch up to her she’s so fast on all fours! I love when she looks back at you and then laughs and takes off full speed ahead. It’s can cure any irritability I may have been experiencing.
– When she’s on the grass she will crawl with her feet on the ground and butt in the air. I guess she doesn’t like the feel of the grass on her knees. (BREASTFEEDING NOTE WARNING: she nurses in this position too HA!)
– She is very independent already I feel like. She loves to feed herself. I will scoop out some food with her spoon and she will yank the spoon out of my hand only to turn it upside down and spill the food down her shirt front before actually making it to her mouth. It’s wonderfully funny sometimes and down right stressful other times. Depending on how late we are running.
Some other random notes for the out of town family:
She has about the same sleep schedule she did when she was first born. Goes down at 7:30ish, wakes around 12:00amish for a feeding then right back down, same thing at 5:00amish. Wakes for ‘good’ around 7:00amish to say good bye to dad and eat some solids then back down for morning nap around 8:00amish. People keep asking me if she’s a good sleeper. I say yes but it’s definitely not the 12 hours at a time I keep hearing about from other people… It was great for a newborn. 😉 (SIDENOTE: this is NOT the case when she’s traveling. Ask me if she’s a good sleeper when we’re traveling…………no.)
She is trying lots of different solid foods. She demands that we share whatever it is we are eating. She and the dog are bonding over her inevitable tossing of food on the floor (the only time the dog really shows any interest in her.) She likes MOST foods but is definitely developing distinct likes and dislikes. Loves oatmeal and any fruit mashed up. Doesn’t ever seem to enjoy meats.
– HEIGHT AND WEIGHT:
She is skinny and long. Went from 75th percentile in weight to 25th percentile in 3 months. At the last doctor’s appointment the doc said “She’s still stringing out huh?” But she is perfectly healthy and oh so happy!
-TOYS AND ACTIVITIES PREFERENCES:
She seems to enjoy dolls, shoes and LOOOOVES her cousin Olivia’s music box. Likes hanging out outside. She enjoys swimming and we’ve recently introduced the slide, which received indifferent reviews, and the swing, which she super duper enjoyed. 😀 And she is really interested in other kids. Babies and her big cousin Liv especially.
I’ll think of more to share later but it will be too late. I’ll close with some PHOTOS.